Topband: how to hear through static crashes?

Merv Schweigert k9fd at flex.com
Wed Mar 28 13:36:17 PDT 2012

> 2. Switch to 80M DXing. After a while you can hear how strong the signals get once they reach a certain level switch to 160M and start listening.

I find here many times that 80 meter QRN is worse than 160 on the same
day, same time,
no idea why that is, but is very often true here,  so I check 160 when
the QRM
is high on the other bands.  Maybe a "tropical" thing.
> 3. I found that on those very noisy nights for DX, the beer factor helps take the edge off.

Very true,  and also depends on the brand,  some brands are much better
for clipping the QRN than others,
I recommend you try several brands and see what works best for you.
Hard to beat a good German brew.

Another thing I find is that after 50 years of Top band listening and
having tinitus that your
ears become accustomed to the constant static crashes and act much like
the best clipper filter
you can find.  Any one who complains about QRN has not been on the band
long enough,
and needs another brew to temper the noise level.  Hang in there your
ears drums will
become like leather and suppress the crashes.  Also helps suppress the
honey do's when
you can no longer hear anything but 400hz cw tones.

73 Merv K9FD/KH6