Topband: S.W. Dean Patent

Herb Schoenbohm herbs at vitelcom.net
Fri Mar 30 12:13:10 PDT 2012

It is fascinating stuff about the phasing of two wire bi-directional
Beverages.  The idea of sending back the return signal on a single two
wire Beverage to the same receiver via a phasing device is something I
will try with the MFJ-1029 on my 900 foot WD-1A reversible.  I guess
based on the pictorial that this would provide some null improvement but
with multiple antennas spaced at the proper distance "at a fraction of a
wave length" (whatever that is) you would expect come forward signal
improvement.

I enjoy making these tests on the upper portion of the BC band and when
visitors come in the shack show them how signals from some islands to
the south east can appear with very clear copy and with the push of a
button a station in P.R. takes over and the south east stations totally
vanishes.  No carrier or any sign of the other.

Thanks for this paper from 1926 and remember few if an hams in the 50's
and 60's on top band had any interest in constructing a Beverage.  The
all of a sudden the Beverage rebirth took place to the point that if you
have the space, a resistor and a roll of wire made you king in the RX
department.

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ