Topband: Monopole Radiation Patterns, takeoff angles etc

Guy Olinger K2AV olinger at bellsouth.net
Sun May 6 07:05:35 PDT 2012

Hi, Rich.

I guess one could ask why bother with this mid-field analysis.  It IS
TECHNICALLY TRUE what you say, no argument, but of little use since you
don't get to keep it, UNLESS you can get it over salt water, or off a
mountain top.  The far field code in the various programs is adding up the
gains AND THE LOSSES and presenting you with the sum, rather than giving
you the loss in one presentation, the gain in another and making YOU add
them up in your head.  For myself I will stick with the convenience of
letting the program do the subtracting.  You are talking about salary
before taxes.  I can only spend take-home pay, and I can only make QSO's
with the take-home pattern.  I don't see anything wrong with using the
take-home takeoff angle as the item of conversation -- it's the one you get
to use.

73, Guy.