Topband: staying up with the latest technology, receiver evaluation

Bill Cromwell wrcromwell at gmail.com
Sun May 20 07:01:40 PDT 2012

On Sun, 2012-05-20 at 08:46 -0400, ZR wrote:
> The RAK and RAL are arguably the best regen ever manufactured. There was a
> pair of them in Emergency Radio aboard a USN tanker I spent a few years on
> in the 60's and I used them often to keep my code speed up by copying
> numbers groups.
>
> Ive a RAK-7/RAL-7 pair here the past few years and have been using the RAL
> more often with the pre WW2 QRP station with the TX being a Meissner Signal
> Shifter VFO with plug in coils.
>
> While the RAK is a better CW radio due to a sharper audio filter its only
> goes to 600KHz. I havent made any mods to the RAL yet but I might add an
> outboard brick wall audio filter.
>
> The audio AVC, actually a limiter, works wonders in T storm static.
>
> These are not light, the radio is 74# and the outboard PS 41#. Remove the
> regulator tube from the PS for a big power savings and heat drop. Its not
> needed on a home mains.
>
> Carl
> KM1H

Hi,

The RAK 7 that I have certainly changed my mind about regens! I got it
in the 80s to look at LORAN signals not knowing it was a regen until I
got it home. Then that big "Regeneration" control became a clue <grin>.
I was amazed. I did get to examine the LORAN signals on an old, slow
o'scope. I have been looking for a RAL lately to put together the "RCA
Twins". I have been thinking of trying to clone a RAK/RAL set. Not to
make any improvements. Just to see if I can even get close to the real
deal in performance. A lot went into those.

I looked in the manual to be sure but there is a voltage regulator and a
current regulator in the power supply. It's the current regulator that
is the big power hog. The radio needs 60 watts without it and 200 watts
with it. Mine has been without the current hog..er... regulator since
some time before I got it. Mine will never see naval service again!

73,

Bill  KU8H