Topband: Don Miller and CW Pileup Management

Herb Schoenbohm herbs at vitelcom.net
Wed May 23 18:28:36 PDT 2012

On 5/23/2012 4:45 PM,k1zm at aol.com  <mailto:k1zm at aol.com>  wrote:
>  Hi Don
>
>  Yes - we both remember the Don Miller style of working a CW pileup pretty much
the same way.

I met Don back when I was going to Augustana College in Illinois and we
chatted often over the years. I was no match for his downtown Chicago high rise set up on 20 or 40  ARRL
SS.  Only Larry W9IOP was the top dog back then.   I remember Don telling me when he
was at one of his rarer spots, I think Maria Teressa, and using his
technique of tuning around and writing down calls in a huge pileup
sometime from 14.200 to 14.350, he heard three different CX2CO's calling
him in on different frequencies on 20 meter SSB.  To which he wryly responded
on the air...."will the real CX2CO go ahead please..... you are 59"

End of story.

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ