Topband: 1600 meter low band

Bruce k1fz at myfairpoint.net
Fri Nov 2 19:48:32 EDT 2012

Wave (Beverage) antennas were used at the Radio Corporation of America radio relay station In Belfast, Maine. The length designed to receive 1600 meter signals from England was a few feet short of 10 miles in length.

Station 1XAO was manned by state of the art engineers, many were hams.
A few names are Samuel W  Dean 1ZD, Albert Mouton 1LY, Carlton Maylott W2YE (His son now has the call), Ernest V Amy of 1BCG  team fame,

 Clarence Hansell went to see Dr. Caddy, and Dr. Pierce (Pierce oscillators) of Harvard, to get newly discovered crystals, and went on to build the first commercial crystal controlled relay station of power. Instead of converting received signals to a loud speaker, he converted (heterodyned) the signal to a new frequency for transmitting, on newly discovered short wave frequencies. ( He used frequencies 2677 KCS, and 5354 KCS)  Yes, KCS long before we started calling them Kilohertz.

March 14, 1925 they made history, by Broadcasting  a musical program from England with a double relay on each end.  David Sarnoff commissioned Brunswick Records to transcribe the Broadcast.

I have a portion of one of these records on my WEB site for anyone that has the interest to listen.
It is Long wave AM radio reception across the pond with poor audio quality,  QSB, and occasional QRN.  I cut a portion of someone on CW sending "Vs"  QRM.  (Wideband receivers)  Milton Cross was the WJZ announcer.

The Belfast Museum - A good place for 1XAO interest.

www.qsl.net/k1fz/1925 recording

I listen to it using Windows Media Player.

Enjoy 1925 !

73
Bruce-K1FZ