Topband: Beverage Antenna

Buck wh7dx wh7dx at hawaii.rr.com
Fri Nov 9 14:19:32 EST 2012

I was just reading about SALT spray in Hawaii and the what it does to the soil..  I never thought about that.  Salt spray and not much rain for me.  Salty volcanic top soil/rock?

Again, thanks for all the emails.    Helped walk it through.

Going N/E and taking it as far away from Dipoles as 125ft of coax will take me :-)

Cutting 8ft copper grounding rod into 2 or more pieces.   Can't pound them in very far... will need to drill them in as anchors for radials.

Using radial wire (whatever I can get here).. to run some wires out from the copper ground at the feed point (attach one to galvanized fence in the area??) and put MORE on the terminated end.. one or two long ones 100ft?

I'm wondering if I'll see a difference in performance when it rains and washes away the salt spray on the ground?

This was an interesting site...  the Top Band info was really useful.

http://www.chem.hawaii.edu/uham/index.html

This is funny... so Hawaii...
The first problem is to get from the traditional local "relative directions" such as Mauka, to actual compass references, the concepts seldom used in Hawaii such as "north" and "east".

Streets are usually not much help at all, since they seem to delight in going on all sorts of wierd angles. Besides, when North and South King Street run mostly east and west and North King is south of South King Street, it is not surprising that few in Hawaii can actually point north from any given location. In fact, finding any map of Hawaii that contains latitude and longitude lines is a struggle, and many maps of Hawaii seem to have even given up on the tradition of printing maps with north at the top!

[CONFIDENTIALITY AND PRIVACY NOTICE] Information transmitted by this email is proprietary to Mr. & Mrs. B and is intended for use only by the individual or entity to which it is addressed, or where ever the hell it ends up, and will almost certainly contain information that will offend a large portion of the population, which isn't our concern. If you are not the intended lucky recipient, or it appears that this mail has been forwarded to you without the proper authority of the Wizard of Email or Al Gore, you are notified that any thought, use, or consumption of this email is entirely your choice. In such case, Bon Appetit....    Note:  A $.02 Internet Tax was charged for receiving this email and all funds were given to some family somewhere in America or the U.N....  Have a nice day.