Topband: 8877 Tube

HAROLD SMITH JR w0rihps at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 14 20:10:52 EST 2012

Bob and Paul, The 8877 has a 5 volt filament. The 3CPX1500A7 has a 5.5 volt
filament. Many have been running the 8877 and 3CPX1500A7 with

a Peter Dahl transformer at over 4kV and they work fine. Eimac says that the
filament should be 5.0 volts +- 5% or 4.75 to 5.25 volts. This should be
measured

with a True RMS voltmeter. A friend had high line voltage and his actual
filament voltage was 5.5 volts. He had lost several tubes with an open filament.
After he lowered

the voltage to 5.0 volts he has not lost a tube. He used a Varistor in the
secondary to each tube. The 77SX has 2 filament windings.

Price W0RI

Bob,

A non-issue.  Many of us have been running 8877s with Ep of 4KV.  For example,
the typical no-load Ep of an Alpha 77Dx/Sx amp is right at the specified limit
of 4KV.

Some owners have been converting their 8877 amps over to the 3CPX1500A7 which
has a much higher rated Ep since it was designed for pulsed service. Unless
someone has access to a supply of pulse-rated tubes, I think it's waste of time
unless the plate supply voltage is also increased.

Paul, W9AC

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chortek, Robert L"
<Robert.Chortek at berliner.com>