Topband: Covered /bare antennn wire

Bruce k1fz at myfairpoint.net
Thu Nov 15 15:42:46 EST 2012

Dry blowing snow or high wind can cause quite some voltage build up on a antenna, especially a long one. It is possible to draw quite an arc to ground.
There have been reports of high voltage electrocutions from antenna static build up in Short Wave Broadcast stations. A short stick was mandatory for maintenance periods.
And yes, I did work at a shortwave station with 500 KW transmitter output.

So receiving antenna wire insulation could have some benefit if the voltage on a bare wire is leaking to a tree limb or across an insulator. Beyond some point all insulators can fail.

Indoor antennas do hear static, but I have never seen any evidence of voltage build up. ( The building may provide adequate insulation.)

Out of curiosity, has anyone ever really done testing of voltage buildup on a insulated antenna wire, VS a non-insulated wire ?
Indoor antennas VS outdoor antennas of equal size?

73
Bruce-K1FZ