Topband: Looking to improve TX antenna Efficiency

Joe galicic at comcast.net
Tue Nov 20 12:28:47 EST 2012

Steve,

I have an inverted L with 32 feet vertical and then 96 feet horizontal
leg.  The horizontal leg runs southeast and slopes from 32 down to 10
feet at the last 15 feet of its run.  The antenna is resonant with SWR
of 1.3 at 1.810.  It is  fed directly with 50 ohm coax. No chokes, coils
or tuning of any sort.  I have 5 random length radials made of 14 gauge
solid wire. Due to property constraints none of the radials run in a
westerly direction.

This fall I improved the ground system by adding two more 8 foot ground
rods spaced about 19 feet. Those ground rods are all interconnected. I
also raised the horizontal leg up as far in a tree as I could.  When I
raised the horizontal leg the SWR dropped considerably. The antenna
plays better now.  It seems that the improved ground system helped.

I will continue to make ground improvements as this seems to help the
most.  I cant raise the antenna any higher.

Perhaps you can also benefit by improving your ground system?

73,

Joe KB3KJS