Topband: ZL9HR

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Sun Nov 25 23:32:16 EST 2012

Steve, et al:

I also found this blurb on K3EL's blog:

http://k3el.wordpress.com/

"One of the conditions of our landing permit is that we are off-island
during the hours of darkness – we will return to the boat at night. So,
don’t expect to hear us on the air between approx. 1000-1500 UTC.
Exceptions may be made if, for example, bad weather makes a safe return
to the boat impossible – so if you do hear ZL9HR on at night, don’t
assume it’s a pirate, we’re probably just stranded due to wx and happily
taking advantage of the low band propagation."

By chance I have a copy of the 9V1YC produced ZL9CI video which I had
never bothered to watch (I was saving it in case I ever needed it for a
radio club meeting program). I just watched the video and they mention
that they were restricted from being on the island from local midnight
to 5:30 AM local which is roughly consistent with the 1000-1500 UTC
restriction mentioned above (ZL9CI took place in January which may
explain some of the difference). For the ZL9CI expedition, the zodiak
trip from the boat to the docking site took just a few minutes and the
meteorological station buildings were only a short walk from the zodiac
docking site. These restrictions should allow for ~ 80 minutes of
operating time from local sunset until mandatory departure. On the ZL9
sunrise side folks in central California will have a brief shot during
mutual "twilight" (wouldn't you know that Los Angeles misses mutual
darkness by a few minutes :-( ).