Topband: Inverted L SWR Jumps ???

Guy Olinger K2AV olinger at bellsouth.net
Wed Nov 28 15:12:58 EST 2012

The change in an overheating core has a swing to it and you can watch the
SWR change, in a continuous fashion, while you are transmitting, while arcs
exhibit sudden change.

What you call "imbalance" was on purpose, but true.  The more the radiating
length of an antenna is shortened, the more severe the voltage is at the
end(s).  Enough so that a motorcycle at a W3LPL open house, with a KW in a
motorcycle trailer, even the rounded end of the 8 foot whip on SSB peaks
would crackle and sizzle with corona, visible in broad daylight.  Quite the
show.

Even with full size devices, toward the ends of dipoles, vees, etc, the RF
voltages are well in excess of insulation on the "THHN" insulation on wires
from home improvement stores.

But I'll vote with Tom's likely assessment, arcs in connectors, etc.  You
may have some surprisingly high voltages in the UNselected antenna plus
feedline.

73, Guy.