Topband: 2 wire beverage question

ZR zr at jeremy.mv.com
Wed Nov 28 12:06:12 EST 2012

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji at w8ji.com>
To: <topband at contesting.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 10:49 AM
Subject: Re: Topband: 2 wire beverage question

>> ON4UN states in his book that the wires for a 2 wire reversible beverage
>> must be installed side by side, but also may be placed one above the
>> other with satisfactory results.
>> Did someone try this? How satisfactory is satisfactory?
>
> There is no difference at all.
>
> If the feed system is right, and the line is properly constructed, it
> would all work virtually the same. It does not matter if one wire is above
> the other, or if they are side-by-side.
>
> Absolutely the best construction method would be a twisted or transposed
> line, twisted or transposed at fractions of a wavelength, but even using
> the best twisted or transposed installation it would be difficult to tell
> from an untwisted line if the conductor was very close spaced (a few
> inches or less).
>
> What does make a difference is the wire used, and how the line behaves as
> a transmission line. I would not use telephone, insulated wire twisted
> pair, or field phone wire, because they are very poor transmission lines
> that are lossy and heavily affected by water.

** Ive noticed no difference in any weather using field phone wire which
happens to be in wide use by many very competitive contesters and lowband
DXers. With 5 2 wire reversibles here and 750' of 1/2" feedline there is no
need for a preamp.

The galvanized thin fence wire you often champion is also lossy.

Carl
KM1H