Topband: Fishing beacons redux

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Mon Oct 1 10:35:42 EDT 2012

> I didn't realize 160 was a shared band with fishing bouys.
> Rotten QRM...

Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe this either falls under
international agreements of frequency use in international waters, or
domestic FCC regulations inside USA waters.

Of course many fish boats in USA waters break USA law, even while in USA
waters. It is common for me to hear fish boats from the Gulf coast, even
while in port, using Ham bands.

This is because the equipment they purchase, like Icom rigs, operates in Ham
bands. The radio buoys also are programmable to Ham bands.

I am strong enough to cause problems for many of them when they are in my
general area, off the east coast or in the gulf or southern ports, because I
have about 5-6 kW ERP and it is one hop, but transmitting just to bother
them is a non-productive way to spend an evening or morning. The real
solution is to get the manufacturers and dealers selling the stuff to warn
them away from Ham bands.

I doubt, with the sprit of smaller government and deregulation, any
government help is available. The exception might be if they start using
these things as a obvious tool in running drugs.

73 Tom