Topband: Maritime gear programmable on ham bands?

Radio KH6O radio.kh6o at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 13:08:25 EDT 2012

Folks, for the benefit of us reading the digest version, please
consider trimming quoted text to the bare minimum. Thanks!

> This is because the equipment they purchase, like Icom rigs, operates in Ham
> bands. The radio buoys also are programmable to Ham bands.
> 73 Tom

Tom, this is news to me. Maritime equipment is manufactured to
extremely strict type acceptance. Can you give me an example of an
Icom MF/HF maritime rig that can be used or reprogrammed onto the ham
bands? It seems to me that some incredible redesigning of such a radio
would have to be done. Also, I don't see how the maritime
channelization design could be defeated to give the frequency agility
we enjoy in the amateur radio service (the only service to be given
such a privilege).

There are maritime channels set aside specifically for "chit-chat"
among vessels at sea, so I see no reason for a vessel owner to go
through the incredible effort of  getting a maritime-only rig
operating on the ham bands. I suspect, instead, that the vessel owner
has purchased a ham band transceiver (which is about half the price of
a maritime transceiver).

Note that maritime frequencies are channelized. See for example, our
website: http://www.navcen.uscg.gov

73, Jeff KH6O
Senior Chief, US Coast Guard