Topband: Maritime gear programmable on ham bands?

Herb Schoenbohm herbs at vitelcom.net
Mon Oct 1 16:41:06 EDT 2012

Jeff,  Amateur Radio units are indeed cheaper plus the people on 14.313
have declared that this is "their" emergency calling frequency 24/7.
Even one of the ARRL SE Division candidates a few years ago made this
one of his key advocacy points to have the IARU name it as such. Thank
God he lost or he would be pushing this stupid idea at the ARRL as he
promised to do.

There is already excellent spectrum for vessels to use monitor by
international treaty by many other ships at sea.  Yet the lure of a free
phone patch to his property broker or bank to check on "is everything
10-4?"  is supported by amateurs who become enablers and  should know better on ham bands.
Some of the gurus  on 14.313 brag about the amounts of
"green stamps" sent to them in many cases for the devotion to this illegal
practice.

Herb, KV4FZ