Topband: Maritime gear programmable on ham bands?

wa3mej at comcast.net wa3mej at comcast.net
Mon Oct 1 18:27:25 EDT 2012

It is my belief that radios that are usuable tunable or easily reprogrammable (without a trained technician or special software) in the maritime service (and capable of tuning the Ham bands) would be in contravention to current FCC rules and regs.  I may be wrong about this but I know there was a prohibition in the commercial  VHF/UHF bands. However radios that are made exclusively for the DOD bands have no such prohibitions

Jim
http://www.qsl.net/wa3mej/index.htm