Topband: Maritime gear programmable on ham bands?

Mike Armstrong armstrmj at aol.com
Mon Oct 1 20:39:19 EDT 2012

I don't think anyone has mentioned the ONE VALID use for an "open" radio and that is MARS system service.  It still exists and with the advent of radios that can transmit almost anywhere without modifying the RF circuitry, MARS ops have moved further and further away from the freqs that are closest to the ham bands.

At any rate, wasn't sure if MARS had been forgotten :)

Mike AB7ZU

Kuhi no ka lima, hele no ka maka