Topband: Fishing beacons redux

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Tue Oct 2 13:55:42 EDT 2012

> Is this the correct thing to do?

It is for me. :-)

>How do you know that the beacon user is breaking the law in his
>jurisdiction?

Because I can read the International rules and regulations as well as FCC
rules. There is no legal use of 1800-1850 except amateur in this region (2).

http://life.itu.int/radioclub/rr/hfband.htm

> In any case jamming should not be proposed as a solution. Amateur radio
> operators should not cause malicious interference.

This comes up frequently when dealing with CB operators or pirates on ten
meters. I'm not going to debate this here, but I suggest we look at the
rules governing malicious or harmful interference. It is technically
impossible to cause harmful interference to any station operating outside
the law, because they are unauthorized and should not be there.
Hollingsworth made this pretty clear on several occasions, and it is what
the rules say.