Topband: Ground conductivity, permittivity measurement

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Tue Oct 2 15:39:38 EDT 2012

To Rich's point, I created a buried field in 4NEC2 using the radial geometry
wizard and a vertical wire radiator 40m tall, all wires being of #12.  The
radial field consists of 64, 0.5 wavelength radials, buried 0.1m deep in
moderate soil conductivity of 3 mS/m.  As a bit of a sanity check, the base
impedance computes to 40.2-j18.9.  Rich can keep me straight on my
assumptions, but I believe they're valid.

http://72.52.250.47/images/160m.jpg

Using NEC version 4.2, surface wave field strength is calculated at 1km as a
function of varying Z value from 0-500m with 1500W from the source at 1.8
MHz.  Notice how the field strength at zero elevation does not produce a
null as we typically see in far-field calculations over average soil.  So,
without knowing the surface wave component, it would appear the traditional
far-field plots only tell half the story about low-angle radiation from
base-fed monopoles.

My NEC input file is available to anyone who wants to see it.  Before
asking, please ensure your modeling program runs under NEC 4 and not NEC 2.

Paul, W9AC