Topband: Skywaves from Monopole Surface Waves

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Thu Oct 4 13:33:20 EDT 2012

Hi Dick,

I get that at any point in the far field there is RF current in the
ground due to the space wave from the transmitter reflecting obliquely
off ground. I was, however, under the impression that at very low angles
the field from this reflection cancelled direct radiation for earth of
finite conductivity. I think you can see this in the Distance=20 mile
E-field plot you provided for the 1.83 MHz radiator. In that plot there
is an inflection in the E-field versus height very close to the horizon.
If you ignore that inflection and extrapolate a smooth curve from the
E-field at higher elevation angles down to zero elevation angle you can
see that the field would go to zero. I believe that this extrapolated
curve is the component of the E-field attributable to the space wave and
that E-field in the small segment of the original curve below the
inflection point is the E-field attributable to the surface wave which
arrived at that point as a "guided-wave" hugging the surface of the ground.

73, Mike W4EF