Topband: Skywaves from Monopole Surface Waves

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Tue Oct 9 09:14:11 EDT 2012

On 10/7/2012 3:42 AM, Richard Fry wrote:

> It will be seen from the data that no "notch" exists in the fields
> radiated by the monopole at elevation angles of 3 degrees and less, as
> expected by some when considering only the far-field patterns shown by
> MoM (NEC) software, and in antenna textbooks.
>
> That low-angle radiation can reach the ionosphere to produce a skywave,
> under the right conditions.   That skywave can be very useful to hams
> using vertical monopoles, even though its existence may not be
> recognized.

Everyone seems to agree that at moderately short distances from the
vertical radiator (a few miles), there will be pattern fill-in at very
low-angles and that this fill-in is not predicted by the far-field
pattern equations. What everyone seems to be dancing around (Dick hints
at it above) is whether or not any of this low-angle ground-wave energy
ever reaches the ionosphere and if so, how? Clearly if you keep
increasing the distance from the vertical radiator, the E-field at zero
elevation angle drops faster than 1/r (except in the case of infinitely
conductive ground) so eventually the "notch" in the pattern predicted by
the far-field equations appears.  One can image taking the helicopter
used by Dick's BC engineer friend and repeating E-field versus height
measurements at increasing distance intervals out to many miles. In
fact, one of the NEC-4 surface-wave plots Dick posted a few days ago
shows that for average soil a fairly deep low-angle notch (~ 20dB) has
already appeared in the elevation pattern at just 20 miles distance from
the vertical radiator:

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h85/rfry-100/Surface_Wave_Flds.jpg

So again my question - if this low-angle ground-wave (aka surface-wave)
energy dies off so quickly (e.g. down 20dB at just 20 miles), how does
any of it get to the ionosphere where it can be useful for topband DX?