Topband: Near Field/Far Field

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Sat Oct 13 00:15:32 EDT 2012

If you look at Ken Norton's paper from the December 1941 Proceedings of
the IRE "The Calculation of Ground-Wave Field Intensity Over a Finitely
Conducting Spherical Earth", he lays out the equations for the E field
from a vertical radiator for short distances (short enough to neglect
earth curvature). In these equations Norton explicitly shows three
distinct terms; a "direct wave" term, a "ground reflected wave" term,
and a "surface wave" term. If you neglect the surface wave term and add
up just the "direct wave" and "ground reflected wave" terms for the case
of psi=0 (i.e. zero elevation angle), the sum of the terms goes to zero
except for the case of infinite ground conductivity. In that case, the
surface wave term goes to zero and the sum of the direct wave field and
the ground reflected wave field is twice the direct wave field which
accounts for the 3dB gain at the horizon that Dick mentioned in one of
his previous posts.

The 1941 paper mentioned in the previous paragraph references another
paper by Norton that was published in the Proceedings of the IRE in
September 1937 - "Physical Reality of Space and Surface Waves in the
Radiation Field of Radio Antennas".  In this paper, Norton discusses
whether or not the physical interpretation of the surface wave portion
of the E field solution is equivalent to a "Zenneck" guided surface
wave. At the end of the paper, Norton leaves the question open stating,
"Although the above evidence is illuminating the final establishment of
Sommerfeld's view that the surface wave is similar to a guided wave on a
wire must await further theoretical and experimental studies".

It sounds like we are asking the same questions as Norton asked in 1937
again in 2012. One possibility that I suggested previously, which would
reconcile the discrepancy between the 2.8 km elevation pattern with that
of the 50 km elevation pattern, is that the surface wave portion of the
field is truly a guided wave that propagates along earth's surface in a
manner analogous to the way energy flows down a transmission line. Since
real earth is lossy, you would expect that part of the field to die off
with increasing distance eventually (due to ohmic heating rather than
radiation into space) leaving only the field from the skywave terms in
the field equations. I think the argument that it is valid to sample the
elevation pattern of the vertical radiator at some modest distance (e.g.
2.8 km) and then project that field radially on to the distant
ionosphere, depends upon some implicit assumptions about the
corresponding amplitude, phase, and direction of the H-fields in that
moderate distance elevation pattern. Rules of thumb about far field
distance aside, what ultimately matters is whether the E-field and H
field are physically orthogonal and in-phase.

Interesting topic.

73, Mike W4EF...............