Topband: RX splitter - ground common or not?

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed Oct 17 16:15:28 EDT 2012

On 10/17/2012 6:58 AM, Tom W8JI wrote:
> Use beads over an unbroken shield.

The only thing I disagree with about Tom's advice is that, with the
exception of a VERY large string of #73 beads (at least 100 beads),
beads are useless on HF, and even those are not very useful at 2 MHz.
Where Tom recommends beads I would instead use either 1) a transformer
having VERY low inter-winding capacitance, or 2) a common mode choke
formed by winding at least 16 turns of the coax around a #31 core.

73, Jim K9YC