Topband: 160 meter elevated vertical

Guy Olinger K2AV olinger at bellsouth.net
Sat Oct 20 11:25:10 EDT 2012

Hi, Bill,

I would add that there is nothing good that can come of having coax pull
away from a vertical without a good common mode choking device of some
sort.  You may get away without it, but if not you have lost.  Lost dB,
picked up noise, changed pattern to favor noise sources.

If you have raised radials, you do NOT want dirt functioning as any part of
your counterpoise.  The helpful aspect of radials is creating fields in the
ground that are counter to the fields created by the vertical radiator.
 Uniform all around radials create a uniform all around field in the ground
which is opposite to the uniform all around field in the ground from the
radiator.  Their cancelling out is worth 2 dB with "good" radials.    If
all the shield current has to go to the radials and all the center
conductor current has to go to the vertical, then the sum of currents in
the radials is equal to the current in the vertical.

As soon as you let current flow on the outside of the shield away from the
feedpoint, you are taking it away from the radials, the degree of field
cancellation in the ground lessens and you are throwing away RF.

And not all ground is equal.  Ground rods can work very poorly for RF.

Many situations will require more than one choke to be effective, or
strategically placed choke and ground.  But a vertical with 1/4 wave raised
radials and a common mode choke at the coax feed is a quarter wave from
ends of wire and a near-perfect place to do the job with only one choke.
 And you don't need a hail-mary super choke for the job.

Just DO the common mode choke on any vertical.  Don't tempt Murphy.

73, Guy