Topband: Stew Perry Warm Up

Cormac Gebruers ei4hq.mail at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 05:32:04 EDT 2012

Hi all,

Stew Perry warm up. View from the EI4HQ chair (operating EI100T):

Friday night held such promise and I was consequently well geared up for
Saturday. Early on Saturday evening though the rate was slow, there were
some good forays made to the East that got my hopes up that it would be a
good night ahead. Unfortunately as the evening wore into night it became a
real struggle from where I was sitting. 48 QSOs in 9+ hours (1815 to 0400
local) was very disappointing; circa 5 qsos per hour.

The furthest West I managed was TF4 (HP85) and my furthest DX was early in
the event into LO07 (circa 3,200km), due East. Things got steadily worse as
the night wore on with longer and longer periods when only 2 or 3 very
local stations could be heard. It was lonely :-( Whether it was the effects
of the M class flare at 1815UTC or something else, I had lost the will to
keep fighting by early morning and bailed out at that point. I know, I
should have kept going in the hope of an opening to the US/Canada but I had
no fight left in me by then... Let's hope for better for the main event!

--
Regards
Cormac, EI4HQ