Topband: Monopole Elev Pattern w.r.t. Earth Conductivity

Richard Fry rfry at adams.net
Wed Oct 24 15:01:14 EDT 2012

"Tom W8JI" wrote:
> My point is that does not tell us what happens at the ionosphere.
>
>If I just take a simple program like EZNEC, and use a small sense antenna
>out in the distance, the results follow the trend you posted from the
>helicopter. ... AFAIK, we do not have measurements of arrival angles useful
>for long distances or how lower angles from verticals might apply
>to that.

Just to point out that we don't have measurements of arrival angles at the
ionosphere proving the fields shown in a NEC far-field analysis, either.
Yet people seem to accept a NEC far-field pattern as gospel, even though it
does not accurately show the radiation launched by a monopole at elevation
angles below 10 degrees or so.

R. Fry