Topband: Monopole Elev Pattern w.r.t. Earth Conductivity

Mike Waters mikewate at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 19:48:02 EDT 2012

We know the radius of the earth and have a good idea of the takeoff angle
from a given monopole height. The unknown variable (to me, anyway) is the
approximate height of the reflecting layer in the ionosphere that affects
160m. I'm guessing that's not a constant by any means.

If we knew those, then we could calculate the location and distance of the
signal hops. That might give us some insight as to why some people have
found a taller monopole to be worse than a shorter one at a given distance.

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com