Topband: HFTA, Radio Arcala, general comments

Gary Smith Gary at ka1j.com
Wed Oct 24 23:18:08 EDT 2012

> I was regretful enough after installing a tall tower and using wire
> antennas. At one point I had a two element wire dipole phased array up at
> maybe 250-260 feet. When it fell down in an ice storm, I was relieved I
> didn't have to take it down.

I had a 110' Aluminum Heights fold over had a 10, 15 & 20, 5 element
KLM monobanders on top. It was raised and lowered by a hand cranked
winch. The fulcrum/pulley arrangement was at 24' I was lowering it
one day and the cable kinked at the winch when it was bent 20
degrees. No way to climb to the top and get a rope up to the top to
pull it back upright. I did everything I could to undo the kink and
then... it snapped. I wass watching while that beautiful tower landed
flat 7 I saw something I never saw before, there was a ripple that
went across my lawn, the neighbors lawn and out as far as I could
see, lasted maybe 2 seconds before it was gone. Just like dropping a
rock in a still pond, only one impulse .

Bad day but it's interesting the things that happen that you don't
think of when a tower comes down. Thank God for Insurance...

Sure wish I had that tower today. Now all I have are wires hanging on
trees.

Gary
KA1J