Topband: Monopole Elev Pattern w.r.t. Earth Conductivity

Mike Armstrong armstrmj at aol.com
Thu Oct 25 09:48:20 EDT 2012

Rik,
I think your suggestion is part of the point of this discussion.  Modeling things at higher frequencies, like 40 meters, wouldn't apply to how 160 works...... IF what we are saying is true or has merit.  The only way to know that 160 truly is different is to model at 160 :) :)

Personally, given what I have experienced and all that has been written, I am beginning to think this just might be the case.  People have been modeling at frequencies where the lowest possible angle works very well...... So,the model would "say" that 5/8 wave verticals should work very well for low angle radiation.  What seems to be happening on 160 is not that..... Maybe it is some mid-angle or something higher that 20 degrees or something along those lines.  This would or could explain why those taller verticals don't seem to work very well and the "shortened" ones seem to work better (?????).  Definitely counter-intuitive if the modeling at other freqs was telling us the truth.

Mike AB7ZU

Kuhi no ka lima, hele no ka maka