Topband: Best angle of radiation ?

Herb Schoenbohm herbs at vitelcom.net
Thu Oct 25 11:04:04 EDT 2012

On 10/25/2012 1:46 PM, Bruce wrote:
> AM broadcast band antennas 5/8 & 1/2 wave tall are rarely used any
> more.  I noticed a reduction of the tall AM towers starting  about the
> 1960's.
>

>   73
> Bruce-K1FZ

Bruce,  I would add one exception to that and that would be the use by
some broadcasters of Franklin or folded Franklin design antennas which
still are in use, especially by stations 50 KW clear channel stations
near the high end of the AM band.  With the AM band expansion such an
antenna, even in its folded configuration theroretically gives you
nearly a 3db increase on the ground-wave and without the nasty high
angle lobe of a 5/8 wave.

I wonder if anyone has ever tried to build a Franklin antenna on TB?

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ