Topband: Best angle of radiation ?

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Thu Oct 25 11:47:17 EDT 2012

----- Original Message -----
From: "Guy Olinger K2AV" <olinger at bellsouth.net>
To: "Bruce" <k1fz at myfairpoint.net>
Cc: <topband at contesting.com>
Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2012 10:56 AM
Subject: Re: Topband: Best angle of radiation ?

> Wouldn't that have corresponded to the FCC's reduction in "clear-channel"
> strategies, and more local market driven commercial agendas?  When I was a
> kid in the early 50's I got a QSL card from WOAI and WHO for sending them
> postcard telling them I was hearing them in Columbus, Ohio.  And the whole
> point of the 1937 Brown, Lewis and Epstein study was that you DIDN"T need
> tall towers for daytime coverage.

The point of B, L, and E was ground systems as a factor in antenna effiency.
They covered antennas up to 1/4 wave tall.

The death of 5/8th wave radiators related to increased fading at outer areas
of coverage. As mentioned, station had disappointing results. They also
discovered problems with severely tapered radiators, like wide base self
supporting towers.