Topband: Best angle of radiation ?

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Thu Oct 25 12:35:29 EDT 2012

> Most of the reasoning for this unexpected negative result was attributed
> to the minor high-angle lobe produced by the 5/8 wave coming back down and
> interfering with the main lower angle signal.  As a result, those station
> who had experimented with 5/8 wave towers usually reduced them to 1/2 wave
> or less.

>From a historical perspective, the 5/8-wave vertical radiator was conceived
by Stuart Ballentine in 1924 and is documented in the Dec., 1924 issue of
the IRE Proceedings.  Between 1921 and about 1930, Marconi-fed caged-T,
inv-L, and Fan arrangements were used and required multiple end supports.
These arrangements had carried over from the antennas used in 2-way spark
communication.

Use of Ballentine's 5/8-wave radiator first appeared around 1930, but it was
then quickly realized that a high-angle lobe returning from the ionosphere
destructively added to the ground wave and caused severe fading, typically a
few hundred miles from the transmitter.   Shortly after 1930, antenna height
optimization occurred roughly around the time of the BL&E study.  So, the
final result of the optimized 190-195 electrical degree monopole radiator
occurred nearly simultaneously with the use of BL&E's systematic radial
development.  The destructive effect of the high-angle lobe is more
noticeable with high-power stations.  Stations with low to medium power
rarely bothered with anti-fading antennas like the 190-195 degree radiator
and the Franklin design.

>From about 1934 and forward, typical tower heights of 60-195 became common
and that's what we still see today.  As we know, without top-loading
radiators less than about 60 degrees begin to show diminished field
strength, but at heights between 60-90 degrees, there's little variation in
field strength with a standard broadcast ground system.

Paul, W9AC