Topband: Monopole Elev Pattern w.r.t. Earth Conductivity

cris blak cyo3fff at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 25 15:56:11 EDT 2012

>>Qualitative or Quantitative...<<

The above term comes from the measurement technique. I'll explain theme below.

Qualitative measurement are when the measurement of a phenomenon or object parameter is expressed as meeting a certain criteria or is better/worst then another one, without figures.
Ex: When we said, by measurements, the antenna A is better then the B, we express this as a qualitative measurement.

Quantitative measurement are when the measurement of a phenomenon or object parameter is expressed in precise figures (numbers).
Ex: When we said, by measurements, the antenna A is better then the B by 10% or by 3dB or 5 times, we express this as a quantitative measurement.

>>Let me get this straight.  If I call CQ and the band is open to Europe on 160 and nobody replies after a couple of hours with my TX antenna #1 with no replies and after switching to antenna #2 I work a dozen stations in rapid succession, that should tell me something.<<

Yes, it tells you that at that time, antenna #2 work better for that ionospheric conditions. That's all. And, this was a qualitative measurement.
If that situation it happens in 100% of your experiments on various ionospheric condition (ionosphere as a variable too) then it tells you that you have a problem with the other antenna or that antenna is not acceptable for such communication.

>>For example after calling TT8TT on 80 CW night after night without a reply (a total of 14 nights without a contact) using full power and a 1/4 vertical with radials,  I decide to listen to the "up" frequencies to see if there was an EU wall were I could find a hole to call on.  Amazing there I was, as strong as the Eu's calling TT8TT with a Eu SDR online RX located in Europe.  But why could the TT8TT op not here me after calling him from 2300 till 0245 (his SR)?

Any ideas?<<

I understand you frustration but...as Tom (W8JI) and other says before, we can't afford enough antennas for every possible situation. Another thing is that you don't know what was the receiving condition at TT8TT at that time! I found big difference in reception 50km away with similar set-up! The SDR receiver test is not valid except if it is installed on the correspondent antenna!

The ideal propagation test should be conducted with a known steerable antenna radiation pattern.
Certainly, this is a dream for us, amateurs.

73 de YO3FFF
Cristi