Topband: Radials over a stone wall

N2TK, Tony tony.kaz at verizon.net
Thu Sep 13 10:00:03 EDT 2012

Thanks for all the feedback on how to get the radials over/under/through the
wall. After playing with this for the past few weeks I realize no way to go
under as test poundings on rods indicates the wall is too deep.

Without dismantling the wall the only way I can get through is possible
drilling. I am going to try that. Tried a couple of holes but not much
progress through the stones. Going to try a hammer dill and see if the
vibration will jitter the stones enough that I can get a wire through in
several places.

I received an idea that if I can get a few wires through I can set up a buss
on the other side of the stone wall and feed multiple radials from that.

I had an offer to model my situation by going over the wall. Will have to
see how that looks when the person gets the time.

In the meantime I was reviewing a couple of articles on radials - QEX Jan
2009 and NCJ Jan-Jun 2005. I had thought there was a more recent in depth
article on elevated vs. ground radials and short vs. long radials but
haven't found it yet. Does anyone remember the article and where it
appeared?

While I am working on the Topband radial issue I want to go from elevated
radials on my 80M 4-sq to ground radials. Guess what, that stone wall really
comes into play as the NW feedpoint is right behind the stone wall in a
field of stones. I will have to "bury" the radials in the rocks. The deer
for years like traversing the stone wall right by the NW feedpoint so the
radials can't be on top of the rocks. Tried that once. Didn't last long.

Looks like a good winter project when the leaves are down and I cut back the
thorny bushes.

73,

N2TK, Tony