Topband: Radials over a stone wall

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Thu Sep 13 13:49:33 EDT 2012

> Thanks for the info. This is what I was looking for - info from someone
> who
> has modeled the radials and/or actual experience with measurements.
> Going over the wall simplifies things for me both for the shunt fed tower
> for topband and for the radials for the 80M 4-sq.
> I plan on soldering the radials together for both antennas wherever they
> crisscross.

I'm pretty sure I posted it, but I know I modeled it out of curiosity
because I wanted to see how closely EZnec agreed with treating it like a
simple stub. If you keep the wires far enough apart each new wire divides
the impedance, so three thin wires over the wall spaced a foot apart are
quite a bit better than one thick one.

For such a small change added by a short stub, I'd not bother digging,
boring, blasting, or drilling. You could, if you are exceptionally
obsessive, run a buss along the wall on each side and run multiple small
wires over the wall.

Despite what I hear, I have number 16 ground wires on my 300 ft tower that
were installed in 1998 when I did an elevated radial test here. I started
checking those wires this summer because of all the repeated lightning hit,
day after day for a while, that went on.  The original wires held up fine
after years of direct hits (except where I trenched through them), so I
don't think even #16 wire would be a wall issue for you.