Topband: The use of digital modes on 160 metres

Bill Cromwell wrcromwell at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 09:45:31 EDT 2012

Hi George,

My own experience with those modes that can dig out signals from below
the noise is they are too slow to be any use for much beyond
"propagation studies". I am doing a very little bit of that on the 600
meter band. The typical story is set the radio and the computer and let
it run all night (*ALL* night) to get a few words through IF propagation
cooperates. Look at your results in the morning after breakfast. Not my
cup of tea. YMMV.

Can the other stations hear you? If not..can you apply more power? (not
already doing the limit) There are some antennas talked about here that
might help you with receive. I have the small lot problem too but I am
slowly working my way toward better reception and I'll be increasing
power soon, too. Even with my puny station (25 watts!) I have worked
some other stations on Top Band. I can hear better than I can send.

Some people detest that there is digital activity on Top Band but it is
there. Somebody else will have to point you at it (1840 or so?) as I
don't use it. If you decide to join those guys let me wish you best of
luck.

73,

Bill  KU8H