Topband: The use of digital modes on 160 metres

k6xt k6xt at arrl.net
Sun Sep 16 20:37:04 EDT 2012

Exactly. And it applies to digi operators too, many of whom are not
listening for CW or anything else in my very own personal experience.
Their software is in control - who needs to look at a radio's S meter
or, heaven forbid, actually listen to it? seems to be a common operating
situation. Ergo jamming, intentional or not.

Its also true that no CW contester I know of will sit on a freq for up
to a minute (or even 10 seconds) waiting to see if someone's already
using it. No doubt at all there's plenty of potential for conflict in
the 1835-1840 area. Which returns me to my starting point of agreement
with Tom about the unfortunate choice of that range for digi ops.

Since I don't use SSB and find some other band in the 160SSB tests, I
haven't had the pleasure you describe.

IMO Tom's fruitful discussion would begin "where can we move digi ops
out of the 35-40 segment so there's reduced impact on activity
preexisting since the dawn of creation, and do it such that the digi ops
- many of whom probably also use CW and SSB on 160 - don't need to add
more antenna switching or a separate antenna".

A discussion about how regularly parts of the band are used for DX is,
IMHO, specious. Obviously there isn't likely to be much activity til the
band opens somewhere and a DX station shows up.

PS: Lest anyone think I'm unduly biased, while not a regular I have used
digital modes including JT65 on 160 and other bands.

73 Art K6XT~~
Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm.
ARRL, GMCC, CW OPS, NAQCC
ARRL TA