Topband: TB digital

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Mon Sep 17 00:19:04 EDT 2012

 > I think everyone agrees it isn't in the right place.  But
 > having said that, where should it go?

While JT65 and PSK operation may not be where you would prefer
to place them, the US "digital" bandplan is completely useless
in much of the rest of the world.  In the most basic terms,
digital modes have as much right to a spectrum that is common
to all three regions and the majority if different national
regulations/allocations as any other mode.

While we may not agree with the IARU Region 1 bandplan, it is
the only attempt that provides some basic uniformity.  I might
argue that the Region 1 bandplan allocated far too much space
for SSB but it also tends to reflect realities with SSB activity
starting at 1840 KHz (or lower) in most of the world - and that's
not something that is going to change since it hasn't changed in
30 years or more.

Given the realities of SSB operation starting at 1840 KHz, 1838
- 1838 to 1840 for JT65 is not exactly unreasonable.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV