Topband: Old Radios

ZR zr at jeremy.mv.com
Sun Sep 16 15:49:41 EDT 2012

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eddy Swynar" <deswynar at xplornet.ca>
To: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji at w8ji.com>
Cc: <topband at contesting.com>
Sent: Sunday, September 16, 2012 3:19 PM
Subject: Re: Topband: Old Radios

> On 2012-09-16, at 12:47 PM, Tom W8JI wrote:
>

>>> Specifically, every year The Antique Wireless Association (NY, USA)
>>> sponsors the "Bruce Kelley 1929 QSO Party" for two weekends in late
>>> autumn: this year marks the first time that 160-meters will be added to
>>> the existing 80- and 40-meter bands of activity. Details may be seen at
>>> http://www.antiquewireless.org/pdf/AWA_2012-2013_Event_Schedule.pdf
>>>
>>> The gist of the event is simply this: members dust off any available
>>> 1929 (and earlier) active devices---also known as "tubes"(!)---and
>>> incorporate them into homebrewed, self-excited transmitters, with a
>>> maximum limit of 10-watts input (double that, optional, after midnight).
>>
>> I have a TPTG pair of 45 tubes, but I don't think 160 meters is a good
>> idea during the ARRL contest. I hope someone made the AWA aware of the
>> conflict.
>>

>> :-)
>

> Hi Tom,
>
> Rest assured that both I, as well as Paul (N1BUG), reminded the gang of
> that fact!!! I think they're all resolved to the reality of the one
> weekend conflicting with the ARRL event, & so will restrict themselves
> (ourselves!) to specifically the 80- and 40-meter bands at that time...
>
> Heck, it's tough enough by times during the ARRL 160 fray to be able to
> copy kilowatt stations through the wall of QRM with even the tightest of
> IF filters, never-mind attempting to QSO a 10-watt chirpy / yoopy signal
> whose self-excited & unbuffered frequency is only as steady as the wind
> that might be tossing about its antenna! Hi Hi
>
> Well, Tom, if you have pair of 45s in a TPTG set-up, why not take a break
> during the non-contest weekend on the band & join us...? Or at least tune
> around & soak-in some of the on-the-air ambiance, & imagine that that's
> how things most likely sounded during the Roaring Twenties. It's really
> quite infectious, AND a whole lotta fun...seriously!
>
> Do you have coils made to cover Topband...? If not, there's plenty of time
> to get that done, well in advance of the event. I hope to use a somewhat
> more "modern" rig here, i.e. a master-oscillator-power-amplifier
> consisting of a Hartley 227 oscillator, driving a paralleled pair of 227s
> (but it needs a bit of work here still to "tame" the frequency). For a
> receiver I want to employ the services this year of my homebrewed
> 1929-style 12-tube superheterodyne (224s, 227s., & 245s galore!).
>
> ~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ

I'll try to get a 210 on 160 for ARRL and see how many states I can work. If
not the modified 1928 Radiola 60 superhet is all ready to at least listen.

It took 2 1/2 years to work DXCC on 80 with PP 211's which were very stable
but Ive taken that apart and now building a 160-20 rig starting off with a
27 and ending in a 860.

Carl
KM1H