Topband: The use of digital modes on 160 metres

Terry Conboy n6ry at arrl.net
Tue Sep 18 22:03:19 EDT 2012

On 2012-09-15 4:29 AM, George, VK5IT wrote:
> I do, however, suspect that because going digital is such an obvious answer
> that there must already be some activity among devotees so I would be
> interested in hearing what frequencies and what modes are used on 160 meters
> and any comments.
>
> 73
> George, VK5IT
> Email: <mailto:vk5it at bigpond.com>

George,

There is a modest amount of activity on WSPR (another K1JT mode) at a
USB dial frequency of 1.8366 (with modulated tones between 1400 and 1600
Hz above this).

Of course, WSPR is primarily a propagation sounding mode, and no QSLs
are exchanged, but it's a good way to find out what's happening.  Check
out http://wsprnet.org/drupal/wsprnet/map , select 160m and leave the
call blank to see who is on and hearing each other.  Or look at
http://wsprnet.org/drupal/wsprnet/activity for a text listing of
stations active in the last 10 minutes.

My very modest station with an inefficient inverted L only 25 feet high,
is copied by VK stations from time to time while running 5 to 50 watts
from SoCal.  There are also a number European stations active most days
that sometimes get two-way spots to/from your area.

I normally run version 2.21 of WSPR, which allows frequency hopping.  I
have this set up for all bands from 160m to 10m (except 60m).  I'm often
surprised by what bands are open at odd times.

73, Terry N6RY