Topband: DXCC Fairness

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed Sep 19 13:17:35 EDT 2012

Talk about DXCC fairness -- it's FAR easier to work DXCC with a modest
station anywhere around the Atlantic, or within 1000 km of it, than it
is from the Pacific.  I've got a very nice antenna farm and have taken
the time to become a competitive contester, but I am almost never able
to work DXCC in a weekend contest, all bands combined. But guys on the
east coast consider it trivially easy. The difference is especially
striking on Topband -- there are often openings from EU to eastern NA,
whereas we might HEAR a dozen signals a YEAR out here in California.  It
took me four years to work 100 countries on 160, and two years later I'm
at 125. I haven't heard EU for two years.

73, Jim K9YC