Topband: Vertical dipoles in the real world

k3ky at radioprism.com k3ky at radioprism.com
Sat Sep 22 02:36:05 EDT 2012

http://www.qrpdx.com/ant.html

I think these are a great idea for simple, inexpensive
directivity. I'd like to throw in the idea of trying
this with a Moxon beam. As a horizontal antenna, there
is no doubt the Moxon should deliver superior F/B
compared with a classical 2el DE/Dir or DE/Ref Yagi.
Perhaps this would also hold true in the vertical
orientation. But an equally important benefit is the
significant length reduction with the Moxon design.
The folding makes a 40m beam looks quite doable...

I'd like to hear ideas from others as to some good,
simple, lightweight designs for a rotary slip
joint to be used to suspend the antenna from- one
which resists ice formation in winter. A simple rope
suspension can freeze up solid and refuse to turn.
BTW You can put a ground-mounted rotor on these.

Alas, these antennas are unlikely to be seen much on
Topband, but with this ham DXer community, you never
know...

73, David K3KY

P.S. Yes, they will work way better by the ocean.
Yes, you're throwing away up to 6dB reflection
gain by not running it horizontally. See Moxon's
book "HF Antennas For All Locations"