Topband: Vertical dipoles in the real world

Mike Armstrong armstrmj at aol.com
Sat Sep 22 09:07:40 EDT 2012

Well Tom, all I can say is that it works...... Here is more data.... The mast was a wood pole about 12 feet long and the feedline was buried, so there wouldn't be much radiation from them.  There could be some from the base of the vertical to the dirt via the feedline, but that would be all that was possible.  Well, there could be some while it is buried in the dirt, too, of course..... Not sure how much since I had a current balun close to the feedpoint.

I do try to think of things like incidental radiation in my setup.  Can't always do much about it, but I try.  The point here was not modeling, it was experience..... Of which I have considerable.  I have used these antennas alot (half wave verticals) during my 52 years.  They have never disappointed from an actual performance point of view.  I will say, however, that they seemed to work better from Hawaii and my house was VERY close to the sea there almost 360 degrees.  But ANY antenna seems to work better when surrounded by sea water, so that is kind of a given.

If we are talking a modelling contest, then I haven't got a clue with all the variables.  I can just answer someone who asks if I used one..... The answer is no.... I have used many of them and they ALL worked well enough to make me want to keep them.  That is about a good as I can say for any antenna :) :)  BUT I do hear you, which is why I said what I did about the installation..... All of it may well apply to my success with the antenna.

Mike AB7ZU
Kuhi no ka lima, hele no ka maka