Topband: Dogleg BOG antenna.

Max Cotton airradio at dsl.pipex.com
Sat Sep 22 10:59:57 EDT 2012

I am going to try to place a BOG antenna in my local neighbourhood, as I don't have a 650+ foot garden I thought the most inconspicuous antenna would be a BOG, however I have to 'Dogleg' it, it has to run for 200 feet North, then 200 feet East and the remainder North again, I only have a maximum run of 700 feet. I will terminate it with a 200-470 Ohm (select test) resistor at the far end, I have to run this along a wooden fence line opposite a metal mesh fence about 10-15 feet away for the entire run, this is towards the East. The mesh fence is enclosing an industrial area with a footpath running around that enclosure. My intended BOG will be on the side of this footpath away from the metal fence. Maybe I am wasting my time, has anyone done anything like this, I do have a North/South 'Inverted L' antenna but it is not brilliant for TopBand as I can only ever hear UK and EU stations and normally not even those. I can base load the 'L' but that is not brilliant. Ground conductivity is good as I am about a mile away from a river and 3 miles from the sea, good for HF but maybe not so good for LF bands. Maybe just adding a few more topband radials to my 'L'  may work for the moment. Ideas on this anyone? QTH is South England.
73 Max
M0GHQ