Topband: HiZ Install Small Lot

Mike(W5UC) w5uc at suddenlink.net
Tue Sep 25 16:27:27 EDT 2012

On 9/25/2012 5:38 PM, joe wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I will be installing my new Hi-Z 2-3 RX antenna this coming weekend.  I
> live on a small quarter acre lot in Maryland so I expect a few
> challenges and compromises.  I would like to hear from other small lot
> Hi-Z owners so I may be able to avoid or workaround any issues and
> manage my expectations.
Hello Top Band Small Lot City Dwellers:

IMHO, you are making a good move.  I faced the same problem, and also
solved it with Hi-Z pre-amps. Please take a look at
http://www.suddenlink.net/pages/w5uc/160%20vertical.html

That is how I solved my small lot problem.  I was previously using a
modified K9AY array
  (http://www.suddenlink.net/pages/w5uc/K9AY%20Delta%20Drawing.html)
which did a good job, but I was still missing a lot of DX.  The array as
shown has a design RDF of 9.2 dB as opposed to the K9AY which had a
design RDF of 7.2 dB.  The difference is very noticeable, and well the
effort.  Additionally, the K9AY array has a main lobe take off angle of
about 34 degrees, while the HI-Z array has a main lobe take off angle of
around 21 degrees.  My verticals are spaced at 54 feet.  The two active
antennas do not have to be exactly at 90 degrees from the other two as
they work in pairs.  In a discussion with Lee, K7TJR, he told me that I
do not have to worry about the antennas not being able to see each
other.  The antennas individually take what they see, send it to the
controller/combiner, and the work is done there.  The TX
antenna(inverted L) problem was solved by putting a remotely controlled
SPST relay in the box with the matching network.  That relay is between
the radiator and the matching network and is open when in RX mode.

Enjoy, you are gonna love it.

73,
Mike, W5UC