Topband: Propagation to Conway Reef

Herb Schoenbohm herbs at vitelcom.net
Sun Sep 30 17:08:25 EDT 2012

Again the same thing with past rare pacific DX-peditions,    3D2C did
not start on Top band today as in other days until 1/2 hour after local
Eastern Caribbean sunrise.  Not to worry for me as I already have Conway
Reef confirmed on 160.  I only make this mention since there are others
out here that need it on TB and will not have a chance under this
schedule. The problem with many DX-peditions today rather than in the
past is they rely on SR/SS charts for the East Coast before they even
check the band for a few test CQ's prior to what the charts or the
computer tells them what to do.  The same pattern holds true when rare
African and Indian ocean operations completely forget about the great
sunset openings here to that region and only take Europeans at 2230-2330
and give their first QRZ NA an hour or so later when the line moves up
the East Coast and the Big Guns are pounding away.  Timing I guess *is*
everything.  So either way at times it is beyond belief how strong some
rare DX-peditions are here when they are stringing Euros but you never
have a chance in breaking that wall.  I liked the remarks of Jerry WB9Z
who said from NH8S as soon as they got the TB antennas up that "tonight
we will be on 160 from before our local sunset to after our sunrise. "
That was music to my ears!

Herb, KV4FZ