Topband: DX-100 adventure

Bill Cromwell wrcromwell at gmail.com
Thu Dec 5 20:45:28 EST 2013

Hi,

I have written a few notes about my Johnson Ranger adventures. The
Ranger is now laid up for some serious repair work. Meanwhile I'm
looking some 160 meter events coming up and I have no transmitter for
160 that actually works. So now I have the DX-100 belly up on the bench.
The VFO sounds pretty darn good but the high voltage for the 6146 plates
needs caps real bad. I'm pretty sure the switches will benefit from some
attention, too.

I have used a long handled, "artist's" paint brush to sweep out many
years of accumulated dust and dirt. I pulled the tubes and cleaned some
'scum' off all of those. Those ceramic sockets sure are pretty. I looked
carefully at all the ceramic parts and there are no fractures, cracks,
or nicks in any of them. A very good omen. I do not see any charred
parts, either - another good omen. I'm ready to start testing tubes,
resistors and capacitors. I have replacement caps for the power supply
filters so I am not interested in trying to salvage those. I'm wondering
just how old those are.

I have only ever used it for CW and I see some missing parts. I got the
manuals with the TX when it followed me home from a ham fest and there
are some notes in there. One of the transformers for the modulator is
not in the TX (I think I have it in a parts bin <grin>) and even the
audio section tube sockets have been removed. A previous owner's sins.
Eventually I may restore it to include AM but for now I want a
transmitter live on 160 meters. Also having that thing on 80 through 10
meters will be good.

I doubt I can finish it before the contest this weekend but running in
the upcoming Stew Perry party is my real goal and looks doable. More
later. Time for a sandwich and cold 807, then to check the tubes for any
gross defects.

73,

Bill  KU8H