Topband: 160M Contest

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Sat Dec 7 14:17:36 EST 2013

On 12/7/2013 9:12 AM, Jim Brown wrote:

> Working east this morning was a complete bust -- only a few signals
> heard around east coast sunrise, and they were all weak. WJ9B/7 couldn't

The band was all worked out here by midnight.
I tried again at 3AM and found only 3 running stations that
weren't dupes.  Unlike Jim's experience, many east coast signals here
were strong.  CQ'ed for 10 minutes, no response.
Running 150W, I worked almost everything heard.
Although VY2ZM was booming and was worked before sunset,
nothing was heard from New England.

My new 40 foot perimeter receiving loop was totally deaf to
VE7, WWA, and KL7 for unknown reasons, even if these stations
were 20 over S9 on the transmit vertical.  Rotating it
didn't help.  It worked fine to the east coast.

Rick N6RK