Topband: DX Window

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Sun Dec 8 12:08:42 EST 2013

>> According to http://www.arrl.org/160-meter "The segment 1.830 to 1.835
>> should be used for intercontinental QSOs only." I hear a lot of contacts
>> being made between stateside stations.

The rule is very easy to understand.

When operating between 1830-1835, all stations cannot work other stations on
the same continent as they are on. This rule does not preclude USA or VE
stations from CQ'ing in that range, but it certainly does prohibit NA-to-NA
contacts. Despite people thinking DX Windows are for listening only, there
was never a rule like that. They only preclude local or same-continent
contacts.

NA and SA are considered the same continent, but for a Ham radio ARRL
contest most reasonable people would use the ARRL/IARU continent list.

The problem today is, with our decreased overall education and desire for
freedom, people in the USA think cities are continents and any  rule against
what we feel like doing is a bad rule.  Good luck on getting any rule made
clearer.    :)